Prevention of New HIV Infection among FSW and PMTCT Project
Intervention Project on Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission and New HIV Infection among Female Sex Workers in Edo State is supported by Edo SACA through the World Bank’s HIV/AIDS Fund (HAF). The project is been implemented between June 2014 and December, 2015 in Ovia North East, Esan West and Esan Central Local Government Areas to increase knowledge and attitude conducive to HIV prevention practices among pregnant women and FSWs; and increase access of target beneficiaries to ANC, HCT, RH and PMTCT services. Key project activities include
- Advocacy meetings with stakeholders such as brothel owners, community leaders and Local government policy makers.
- Training of FSW as peer educators and community volunteers as IPC conductors among young/ pregnant women
- Peer Education sessions among cohort members of Female Sex Workers (FSWs) in Ovia NE
- Interpersonal Communication (IPC) session among young/ pregnant women in Esan Central and Esan West LGAs
- HIV Counselling and Testing (HCT)
- Condom distributions and establishment of distribution outlets
- Community dialogue sessions
- Training of key stakeholders such as Traditional Birth Attendants (TBA), religion leaders and community volunteers
- Referrals for PMTCT, antenatal, Family planning and STI treatment.