The LAPO Annual Development Forum
The Annual LAPO Development Forum was initiated in 1994 and has become a faculty of development in its own right. The annual conferencing has stimulated discourse on the development agenda in Nigeria and Africa with very realistic solutions canvassed by guest lecturers and conferees.
The Forum provides a veritable platform for stakeholders to discuss and proffer pragmatic solutions to identified issues in poverty and development. Participants usually include partners in development, government agencies and institutions, policy makers, the academia, religious, traditional and professional bodies, the media, civil society organizations, with inputs from key sectors of the economy.
The theme of the first edition of the LAPO Annual Development Forum held in 1994 was “The Nigerian Economy and the Poor: 1984-1994”. Discussions and conclusions at this session reinforced our belief that sustainable approach to poverty alleviation must go beyond charity and directed at strengthening income capacity of the poor. Subsequent editions of the Forum addressed pertinent issues.
His Excellency, Gen. (Dr) Yakubu Gowon, GCFR, former Head of State and Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces, Federal Republic of Nigeria chaired the 2015 edition of the LAPO Forum with the theme: Women Entrepreneurship Development: Issues, Opportunities and Approaches.
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, GCFR chaired as well as delivered the keynote speech at the 23rd edition of the LAPO Forum with the theme: Food Security and Sustainable Agriculture in Nigeria: Challenges and Opportunities.
The main objectives of the 25th Annual LAPO Annual Development Forum are:
- To assess the extant role of Non-State Actors (NSAs) in national development.
- To examine the effectiveness of NSAs in engendering the socio-economic advancement of Nigeria.
- Provide opportunity for government, the private sector and Non-State Actors (NSAs) to deliberate on strategies to address Nigeria’s developmental challenges.
- To identify the way forward for NSAs in achieving sustainable economic growth and development of Nigeria.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE ANNUAL LAPO DEVELOPMENT FORUM
- The Annual LAPO Development Forum has over the years provided stakeholders the needed platform to interact and proffer realistic solutions to the crucial problem of poverty and under-development in Nigeria
- Ideas generated from previous editions of the Forum have improved the programme focus and delivery methodology of development organizations including LAPO.
- Key resolutions at Annual LAPO Development Forums have inputted into national poverty reduction programmes of various tiers of government.